Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Cranberries and Balsamic Vinegar


Note:  
Amazing!  In the Babble food blog voting you all have moved me from #197 to #27.  We are in the last weeks of voting.  If you enjoy "Snippets" will you   Click here or on the side link to the right.



 Thank You!







Honestly, I'm craving anything green right now.  The holiday indulgences are marvelous but they can only leave one feeling sluggish, sugar saturated,  and downright unhealthy.





The last of the fall season is making its way through Texas and we finally link arms with the rest of the country and usher in the winter season.  


It's time for healthy soups and all sort of vegetable dishes to counteract the abundance of sugary sweets enjoyed in December.


Roasted Brussel Sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables.  I can't say, however, that their flavor is shared by three other members of this family (I'll leave off their names...for benevolence sake...you know)




I was popping around the blog world during the holidays and I couldn't help begin drooling when I landed on Pioneer Woman's "Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Vinaigrette and Dried Cranberries"


Darn it.  I really like brussel sprouts but I can't win acceptance of them as a frequent side dish  when the odds are 1:3 in our house.  


I suspected that this recipe might add just enough sprout camouflage to tilt the scales, to bet the odds...to tickle their fancy.






It worked.  Score!  Yessssss!  I wonnnn!  


I mean, not that there was a competition or anything but the ratio of like:dislike factor see-sawed over in my favor.  {Insert victory dance}

Thank you Pioneer Woman...

I used this recipe as a side dish for my Christmas menu and I thought it paired so well with the Beef Wellington and potatoes.





The wonderful earthiness of the brussel sprouts paired with the sweet and tanginess of the balsamic reduction and the pop of the dried cranberries was the right combination to declare side dish victory!


Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Vinaigrette Reduction and Dried Cranberries
(adapted from Pioneer Woman's blog)


Trim/clean Brussels sprouts, then cut them in half if desired (or you can leave them whole). Arrange on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper and roast at 375˚F degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until brown.
Combine balsamic vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and reduce until very thick, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the roasted sprouts, then sprinkle on dried cranberries. Toss and serve immediately.






Labels: , , , , , ,