It's been a very quiet week for us over here. Our house turned into a domicile for the infirm recently. I could have used one of those cute little paper nurse's caps to pin on the top of my head as I donned the role of "head nurse" and sashayed back and forth from the bedroom to the kitchen.
P. had to have surgery. Nothing serious (hernia) but he was going to be out of commission for what turned out to be a good week.
Chester decided to catch "doggie flu" and could barely drag his wee little body out of his crate for the duration of P.'s infirmary.
I kept both patients in one room and they each looked at one other forlornly while all wrapped up in their freshly washed cushy blankets and plumped up pillows.
Tray after tray was ushered into and out of the bedroom as P. relished every minute of being bed ridden. We started the convalescence with brothy chicken soups and highlighted the recuperation with his favorite "Chunky Monkey" ice cream.
Little Chester, on the hand, couldn't stand the sight of any food and stayed nestled in his little bed with the most woebegone expression on his pathetic little furry face that a doggie can muster.
Just as salted bacon caramels and roasted beet cakes have swept the country lately, so has a wonderful mashed potato impostor that offers just as much soft buttery deliciousness..."faux" mashed potatoes, using cauliflower.
And, no, this is not a "low calorie" substitute for good 'ol mashed potatoes.
There still is the butter. There still is the cream. And, there still is the option of cheesy goodness to add in as an option. But, it might make you feel a smidgen better about picking up that big head of cauliflower at the market.
To cap off the week, one of the cars decided to jump on the bandwagon of family infirms and gain its own attention by completely dying on me. The remarkable service of our car repair shop included a small army of "fix it" guys who drove out to our house, drove away with my injured car, and returned it 6 hours later...right to my doorstep...good as new!!
With broad smiles and twinkling eyes they handed to me what looked to be a fine thank you note for the generous service we "un" willingly provided to them this week.
It was a note alright. A fine paper note at that. With a bill of $600 tucked right into the little linen pocket.
Hope you all have a better week than the one we've had. Treat yourself to some "faux" mashed potatoes!
P.S. Chester is doing just fine now and begging for every scrap that might possibly come his way.
Mashed Cauliflower with Irish Creamed Butter
- 2 pound(s) cauliflower, 8 cups once cut into florets
- 2 tablespoon(s) sour cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted Kerrygold Real Irish butter
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add cauliflower florets; cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Or, place cauliflower florets in a pyrex dish and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Puree cauliflower in a food processor (or use an immersion blender, adding florets in batches. Add sour cream, heavy cream, butter and salt; process until smooth and combined. Reheat gently, if necessary.
- Add your own spin by adding roastedgarlic to this recipe or by adding your favorite shredded cheese.